You can find great volunteering opportunities with organizations in the DUG Network.
- Check out these gardening volunteer opportunities
- Get involved with environmental organizations
- Join efforts to nourish food security in our community
You can also make a positive impact on your health, the environment, and global human rights every day through your purchases, lifestyle choices, and lobbying efforts. Consider joining these local, community-led efforts to support national and global causes.
This local campaign to support a national Fair Food Program to ensure the human rights of farm workers. First launched by the Coalition of Immokalee Workers in 2011 the campaign boycotted Burger King, McDonalds, Walmart, Publix, Taco Bell, and Whole Foods, forcing them to signed on to ensure humane wages and working conditions for the workers who pick fruits and vegetables on participating farms.. Former President Bill Clinton said the effort was, “brilliant … You’ve got a success model, and you ought to put the pedal to the metal…”
We are working to get Wendy’s to sign on to efforts instead of importing tomatoes from Mexico. Learn more at the National Boycott Website.
We all watched as the Water Protectors of Standing Rock won a Winter reprieve from the Dakota Access Pipeline Construction. A central component of the NoDAPL movement national movement, efforts at Standing Rock are supported by local solidarity actions. DC Stands with Standing Rock is an indigenous-led, community coalition that organized a December 10th solidarity protest on Human Rights Day and continues to organize support for Water Protectors as they continue to resist the pipeline. You can also take action right now at your desk, here are 10 ways to locally support Standing Rock Sioux.
- It’s Time for Every Ally to Show Up in the Fight Against the Dakota Access Pipeline
- Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Facebook
The Responsible Consumer website includes information on:
– Calendar of over 100 upcoming Direct Actions, Trainings, and Meetings
– Over 100 products and companies to promote and boycott
– Over a 100 national & local campaigns covering over 100 issues
– Links to 100s of resources and organizations making a difference
– Lists of credible and non credible news sources for all political views
– Inspiration to keep on fighting